Saturday, October 11, 2008

I...Am....Gringa



Here we go!

After a rather sad but confident goodbye with my family, I started making my way towards security in the Atlanta Airport. I have been away from Atlanta for about four years, but as I was saying goodbye to my strong family this time, I felt as though my feet were stapled to the ground. For I am diving into the extreme unknown. Wait though, we are always in the unknown, and people forget that, however this particular unknown does seem a little scarier than most. But, o so exciting! Adventure is calling my name and challenges await. Ahhhh….travel…I have been waiting for you. My mother was watching me like I was launching myself into some deep archaic cave as opposed to a large city. Gotta love her.

First gringa move. After a night of flying and no sleep, I hop in line with all the Argentine men and women in customs. Luckily, a nice young man could see that I was a gringa and informed me I was in the wrong line. Wait maybe I shouldn’t say I am happy that he could tell I was an American. What gave it away? Was it my huge backpack? My infamous head-tilt when I am confused and in awe of my surroundings? Regardless, I am gringa….hear me roar.

As always, I had a great time in my first cab ride. My driver was Eduardo and he was a grand character. He made sure I knew which soccer team to root for, as well as the fact that I need to work on my Spanish (considering the fact that I don't speak Spanish I was ever so grateful for this pointer), slow down when I speak and have fun. As we were driving into the city he decided to blare the song, “Girls Just Want to Have Fun”. “This is for you Ashley….”, he says. What the…? But I was cracking up at this older Argentine cab driver getting down to such an American teeny-bopper tune. Luckily, a beautiful song came on in Spanish as we entered the center of Buenos Aires. This city truly is Central America meets Spain. I walk one block and feel like I am in Guatemala with the pace of the streets and the unique smell, it reminds me of my first Latin American experiences which took place in Xela, Guatemala. Another block down and I feel like I am about to sit at a little European café in Madrid.

Today has consisted of finding my hotel, running around trying to figure out how to put credit on my SIM card, and being overwhelmed with how NICE everyone is being to this clueless chica. Seriously, people want to help me get set up ? Wow.

O, and let me just say that it is GREAT to have your research done. However, don’t for one second think that you are really going to know what you are walking into. I used to read that BsAs is so loud and chaotic, but coming from Chicago, the fact that I can hear birds out my window is a beautiful thing. People walk slower, and the vibe is so chill. Well, from what I have seen thus far…But I did just find out it's a holiday weekend and the majority of the city is vacationing at the beach or Mendoza.

Tired as heck but can’t sleep, I am about to go meet some people for my first Buenos Aires meal and glass of vino!!! Chau for now folks!

4 comments:

David, Samantha and Kaori said...

So, I will be following your blog! I love blogging. Look forward to reading about your wonderful adventures!

Old College friend,
Samantha

Unknown said...

Loveyou sista. So excited to hear more about everything. Miss you!

Unknown said...

Gringa con un misión. Verdad

I love that you've already taken your first cab ride. And already made friends with a driver. Because really, this is the first test of becoming accustomed to your new city :)

Miss you much. Janet Jackson style!

Gowen said...

The head tilt... bee-bopping to Girls Just Wanna Have Fun... HA! I can see it now...