Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Cultural Exchange



Let me catch you up on my past week of non-stop living. I have been in Buenos Aires, Argentina for barely over a week, and have already found a place to live, hopped on a bus to San Rafael, Mendoza, worked an English immersion program, and have my next set of travels to Cordoba set up. Wahoo!!

The house I am now living in, is in the barrio called San Telmo, and I am not going to lie folks, it’s a little gritty. However, very local, artistic, interesting, and beautiful. Bolivar Street, right next to Plaza Darrego, is where I will be planting my feet for the next month. As travel does, my comfort is being pushed with the house I am living in. Let’s just say it has vintage character but I am diggin it. Plaza Darrego is surrounded by outdoor café’s, and street performers. It is a great mix of local, and putting on a little bit of a show for tourists. The house wasn’t what I was interested in as much as the girls that live in it (I think that is something a male is supposed to say, but whatever, you know what I am getting at). One girl from Chile, another from France, and finally one from Germany (I always find Germans ridiculously funny, and this girl has NOT let me down). So throwing in an American, we have created a truly international house. The only language spoken in the house is Spanish, for that is our common ground. The girl from Germany knows English, so she offers me a little release once in a while. These girls are well-traveled, culture-hunters, artistic, and I am pretty convinced our house holds some cute ars girls from all over the world. I definitely can think of a few of you guys that would not mind visiting me now:)

At the moment, I am chillin at a café in San Rafael, waiting for my ride to come pick me up. San Rafael is in Mendoza, Argentina, and after a twelve hour bus ride I am maintaining a rather interesting composure and trying to speak Spanish in this foreign town. Why am I here in Mendoza? Well, a language institute in Buenos Aires needed another native speaker for a program they are having with a group of kids. So, I am in Mendoza (wine country), staying at a ranch/hotel, for free because I speak English!!! What?!?! Not to mention, going to be taking the kids rafting and various other activities throughout the weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

I have just returned from my weekend in Mendoza. Can I please pinch myself? So, this past weekend was with a language institute called “English In Action”. The people who ran this program are fantastic. I had no idea what this weekend was going to be composed of, but these past three days were beyond my expectations. Mendoza is absolutely stunning. It is one of the main places that I wanted to go and within the first week, I somehow managed to get hooked up with free transportation, food, and accommodation just to hang out with some great kids from Patagonia. I loved every minute of it. The activities they put me in charge of had a lot to do with creating stories, plays, and skits in English as a way to teach these kids the language. It was an incredibly active weekend and very well organized. Not to mention, soooo fulfilling. Hugh, from London and Ryan from Minnesota were the two other English speakers, and now fellow traveling buddies of mine. It’s good to travel around with two males in South America, ya know? Offers a little comfort.

The ranch/ hotel we stayed at was in the middle of Mendoza, with hardly anything else close by besides a river, mountains, trees, and kind locals. The landscape was rather interesting because the trees and other vegetation were so green, but the mountains had a desert like/ rocky feel to them. It was interesting observing the lush green trees against a desert like mountain. Very cool.

Basically, I was camp counselor in one of the most beautiful and unique atmosphere’s I have ever been in. All the kids were so interested in our culture and loved talking about theirs. Of course, there were a few that I got particularity attached to and have already been exchanging emails with these young, intelligent, eager to learn, ladies. They were wonderful. One girl, would talk to me about how badly she wants to be a poet when she grows up, and I felt it such an honor to hopefully relay some confidence in her to continue to write and pursue.

This all sounds great, and it has been, but I won’t pretend that travel doesn’t offer the challenge of getting through lonely times, various thoughts and people that you revisit in your head. But I love it all, because you walk away with perspective and Argentina has been gracious and accommodating in all the ways I was hoping for. I have felt oddly at home so far. It’s interesting…

Lidia and Gustavo were the two main people running this, “English in Action”, program. Lidia is a 65 year old, young at heart, active lady from Buenos Aires, and Gustavo is a 30-something year old, kind, smiley, great guy from Cordoba. Both of them introduced Argentina to me as holding some incredibly gracious and wonderful people. Another great thing that came from this weekend… Luckily, they loved having me there and have invited me to another weekend program where transportation, food and accommodation will be taken care of….this time it will be in Cordoba!! Wahoo. Somehow, I found a way to get to two of the main places I wanted to go, and staying for free. Unbelievable. Gustavo owns a hotel with his family in Cordoba and has been soooo generous in offering to put, Ryan, Hugh and I up for a few nights. Observation…I love how affectionate everyone is here. Meaning, the guys hug and kiss other guys on the cheek. Showing physical kindness in a refined manner…I love it.

Buenos Aires is a cool city but I hope to leave here within a month. Why? Because, Argentina is a gorgeous country, that holds more local life than this city shows. Come and visit for sure, enjoy salsa shows, a great deal of theatre, art art art, but to REALLY live in Argentina, I don’t know how I could stay in Buenos Aires. It would be like going to a beautiful island and never leaving the hotel. So, I am going to try and figure out how to get work in some other places and soak up this city for the next month. In a perfect world, I could find a job in Bariloche, Patagonia for the summer! How sweet would that be?!?! “Hi, my name is Ashley, I teach english in Patagonia”. AHHHHH!!

Please be sure to check out the picture of Ryan, Hugh and I chillin in San Rafael. Notice the kid in the background making sure these gringos feel welcome. I wouldn’t have this picture any other way. It’s classic.


So, overall, I have been beyond content with my time here and believe to be following the signs that this was the right choice. Honestly, I feel like I have been so fortunate with so many situations thus far. Lidia took me aside and made sure to let me know how she felt that I was just what this program needed. What positive confirmation that I am putting my energy in the right place! According to her, I “… am a clown” and she loves that for the kids. Hey, I will take it!

The first night in Mendoza, I was out by the river with Hugh, Ryan and Gustavo. Just talking, exchanging culture stories, etc. We got into talking about our families, and I felt comfortable to open up about my brother when asked about my siblings. I told Gustavo that I was a little afraid of some of the natural lows that come from living abroad, may be heightened because I miss my brother so much, and he just said, “you know Ashley, I don’t want to sound to…I don’t know….but if that does happen, I really think you choose the right country with the right people that would help you through that”. I just looked at this new stranger/ friend, and responded, “Hmmm…..I think you are right”.


PICTURES!! : http://picasaweb.google.com/barnes.ashley/MendozaArgentinaEnglishImmersionProgram#

5 comments:

Alison Umbarger said...

Wow...not much more to say than that. Sounds like a GREAT experience, another one in your books. I am so happy for you that everything is working out so well. Keep writing - I love it! I really am in awe of what you are doing - very cool Ashley. :)

Gowen said...

A few observations... 1. You are an awesome writer. The visual and personal details are so fun to read. 2. I LOVE how teaching children somehow involved acting. It follows you everwhere! Coinsidence, I don't think so. 3. Yes, you are a clown... and I miss you tons!

Gowen said...

Oh, one more observation... THE LADY OF THE MOUNTAIN LIVES ON!! (Brit' you know what I'm talkin' about...chime in here!)

Unknown said...

Gowen. hahahahahaha. Such good memories right there!
Ashley you rule. Love you and miss you...your awesome.

Unknown said...

Missssss you!