Friday, November 21, 2008

Chau Suerte....


Soy de Estados Unidos…to travel or not to travel?

Just a quick little post here.

At the moment I am in the Province of Cordoba. Last night, I arrived in Cordoba city and stayed with a girl I met in Buenos Aires. She is living with two guys from Salta (Northern Argentina) and an artist from Mexico City.
Of course, the conversation around the outside dinner table, right by the asado, with a few cervesas (beers), homemade Limoncello (Chelsea, you would have loved it) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limoncello) from their lemon tree right next to us, was a conversation to remember. As are so many cultural exchanges that take place when you travel.

As an individual from the United States, it has been an interesting time to travel. The way our country is viewed, perceived, embraced, and contemplated is rather different from when I used to travel years ago with my father. Due to various reasons such as politics, the media, and other issues that we may all be aware of, the United States may not be thought of as the same country as it was in the 80’s and 90’s. Whether these reasons are justified is not the point…. it’s just the way it is right now. Don’t get me wrong, this country has been MORE than compassionate and kind towards me. However, I can not ignore the observations I have had of other’s international opinions. I have friends from Argentina, Paris, Germany, and Chile around me constantly. My eyes have been opened even more as to how others, may perceive the United States. I won’t get to far into this discussion but we do have to remember that it is almost a trend of the media to report certain political and governmental activities that go on in the United States. And folks, what they see in their media, is different than what our media will let us see

What a monumental experience, to witness such a pivotal presidential election from another country. At first, knowing that all my friends were gathered in Grant Park, in Chicago, was rather heavy. Then a few seconds later I was like, HELLO, I am in another culture, in a great city that is highly active in the conversation of American politics, and I get to see first-hand the response to Obama winning this election. AND, my observations about Argentina and politics is not filtered by the media. It is exactly what I am looking at, in the moment, with no editing.

For all who have asked how Argentina has reacted to Obama winning…. This country loves him, and from what I can see in other international friends, the world embraces Obama with idealistic and positive arms. Que Bueno!!!

So….To travel or not to travel?

This is the thing….I speak the native language of English. And at this moment I am sitting outside, in the hills of Cordoba looking at a full moon and a lake below me, about to teach and hang out with some kids tomorrow. How fortunate and blessed am I that I can see and live in this beautiful country. However, if some of the people I meet down here want to come visit me in the States…they have to go through papers, visas, proof that they are not going to stay in the United States. And I just walked into their beautiful country with two questions that were asked out of routine as opposed to doubt about my intentions. Of course, this could lead to a whole discussion about Argentina and they way they do and don’t do things, but this is a positive post from a spoiled chica from the United States, so we will keep some perspective here. We are so fortunate to be able to experience things like this and then return to our home. Others would LOVE to spend time in the United States but it just isn’t as easy for them. When traveling, we may think that we are doing what so many do….and there is definitely a traveling club that exists within this world. When you meet others in this mentality, there is an instant connection. But don’t forget how lucky we are to have this opportunity. For others would love to fly beyond their limits, but can not, and we are so fortunate to be given a life where our flights are limitless. So if travel is a contemplation, embrace it….suerte!


I will have some pictures from Cordoba up soon.
But right now, check out some pictures from San Telmo, my neighborhood in Buenos Aires.

http://picasaweb.google.com/barnes.ashley/SanTelmoMyNeighborhoodOnSundays#

1 comment:

Jacqueline Barnes said...

Ashley I can't believe how well you write..So much fun reading your blog..Like your friend's would say..You Rule girl...mom